Yesterday I was fortunate to attend the Independent Fashion Bloggers Conference (#IFBcon) in New York. It was a treat to hang with some of my favorite bloggers and meet several of my awesome readers! I even worked up the nerve to ask Emily of Cupcakes & Cashmere a question on editorial calendars after her panel:
Thankfully you can’t tell that I was shaking like a leaf! I wore my J.Crew blazer, J.Crew pants, and ASOS flats. Here are a few of the things I learned…
– The blog is the new résumé and the ultimate calling card. What does yours say about you?
– Bloggers and editors have hired their assistants after reading particularly insightful blog comments. Comment away!
– Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Tumblr, Twitter… It’s too much for one person to utilize every single platform effectively without duplicating content. Focus on a few platforms and do them really well.
– When it comes to social media, would you be interested in reading what you write? That’s always a good filter to determine if you’re putting out meaningful content.
– Take the extra two seconds to spell out b-e or y-o-u-r, even when you’re facing a 140 character limit. It’s so much more professional!
– Don’t jump at the first opportunity that comes your way. The brands you partner with are a reflection of your brand and your taste. Quality over quantity is key!
– Work with brands whose clothes you actually wear. And don’t be afraid to pitch your favorite brands when you have a great idea for a partnership!
– When you blog, you’re creating a brand and a persona. Whether you want a book deal, a styling gig, or a TV show, you can market that personal brand and parlay it into whatever you want.
– Bloggers need to make money too. Don’t be afraid to ask for what you’re worth!
– When it comes to advertising, here’s a good rule of thumb: if three people will pay it, it’s time to increase your rate!
– – –
All in all, I had a great time and came home with lots to think about in terms of my own personal brand. I hope these tips will come in handy for some of you too!