Hellooo, December! I’ve admittedly been cranking holiday music for weeks but for me the start of the new month means it’s officially fair game to decorate for Christmas. If you’re anything like me, you’ll nix the traditional red and green palette in favor of something a little more elegant. Here are ten of my favorite ideas for holiday decorating (pin the image above to be able to find this list later!).
1. A plain boxwood wreath is never out of style. I love this West Elm option that’s preserved for use year after year.
2. Bring the evergreen indoors! Spice up your classic silver candlesticks with a small circle of greenery at the base of the candle. Bonus points if you use candles in one of these punchy colors!
3. Live in a tiny apartment or spending the holidays away from home? Treat yourself to a mini Christmas tree to get yourself in the holiday spirit with minimal effort and expense — this Target option costs less than $20 and it’s already lit!
4. Use your favorite colors! Our Christmas table a couple years ago featured hot pink dinner napkins and silver painted pine cones in addition to my parents’ crystal candlesticks and traditional silverware. Any color will work with a little sparkle and winter white!
5. Hanging wreaths in your windows? Forgo the red ribbon in favor of something a little more fun. I love this Anthropologie ribbon in chartreuse velvet!
6. Decorate beyond the room where you’ll actually be opening presents come Christmas morning. How pretty is the garland in this kitchen? I’ll bet it makes washing dishes feel a bit more festive!
7. Speaking of garland, this magnolia garland is a fresh take that makes use of what you’ve got on hand and won’t require a vacuum for clean-up.
8. When in doubt, light a candle. There’s no quicker fix for a simple tablescape than beautiful candlelight! Psst, wouldn’t a few of these quartz votive holders be gorgeous on a dining table?
9. Have a very preppy Christmas! Leftover grosgrain ribbon from gift wrapping makes for adorable tree trimmings. The more polka dots and stripes the merrier!
10. Hey, the classics are classics for a reason. Go all-out with garland on your mantel, mistletoe in your foyer, and a crackling fire in the family room. That’s what the holidays are for!
Keep up with Design Darling