Today I want to mix things up a bit with a few things you might not know about me! I’m not sure how many of you have been reading Design Darling since the early days, but I do occasionally get nostalgic for the blogging community back in 2009/2010. Instagram and Pinterest hadn’t taken off yet and even Twitter hadn’t hit its heyday. Bloggers would often give each other “awards,” fill out questionnaires, and leave long and thoughtful comments on each other’s posts… In many ways, blogging has changed for the better (don’t get me wrong — I don’t know what I’d do without Instagram or Pinterest!) but I thought I’d bring back one of the more casual, personal posts I might have written six or seven years ago (crazy to think it’ll be eight years in November!). Without further ado, ten random facts about me:
- Alphabetical order makes me happy. Even when I add hashtags after I post on Instagram, I try to list them in alphabetical order.
- If you’ve read my about page, you know that I hope to set foot on all seven continents in my lifetime. Travel is the best education.
- I have a sister, Reilly, and two brothers, Grayson and Camden. (I’m the oldest.) We are all so different but wonderfully close.
- I majored in French language and literature and spent six months living with a host family in Tours the spring of my junior year (right after I started my blog!). I’m constantly embarrassing family and friends by trying to speak to cab drivers and waiters in French, but I’m so scared I’ll lose it if I don’t practice every chance I get!
- I toured fifty-one college campuses (and yes, I know how ridiculous this sounds… I think my 17-year-old self just wanted an excuse to travel ), applied to nine schools, and wound up at Bucknell. I probably know enough about the college application process to counsel high school seniors (which I could totally see myself doing someday!) but I know I got it right in the end. I couldn’t imagine having a happier, more fulfilling college experience!
6. I’ve been a vegetarian for nearly ten years. It started as a personal challenge after my first year of college and I just decided to keep going. That said, I’m about the worst vegetarian on the planet and need to work on getting more protein!
7. I’ve seen every episode of The Office at least twice.
8. I would have ten puppies if they could all fit in our house. I grew up with cockapoos (one of whom, Coach, will turn 14 in October!) so getting Rory before I moved to New York was a no-brainer. He is truly the light of my life and forever keeping me on my toes!
9. My dad converted all four children to Red Sox fans even though my mom likes the Yankees. We even named our second dog Fenway! Baseball is really the only sport I follow.
10. My grandmother is one of the coolest people I know. She splits her time between Nantucket and Naples, Florida, and just finished needlepointing a collar and leash for Rory to wear to our wedding. She reads Design Darling every day, is always impeccably dressed, and quite possibly has a more active social life than I do! She will be 90 in July and went dogsledding and white water rafting with our family when she was 78… #goals.
Shop the post: