I am so beyond excited for today’s post. If you had told me eight (!) years ago when I started Design Darling that one day I’d get to collaborate with Polo Ralph Lauren, I would have laughed and probably gone back to writing my French thesis. My mom was a senior vice president in Ralph Lauren’s menswear division for most of my childhood and there’s just no other brand that does all-American, preppy, truly timeless style better if you ask me. Needless to say when I received their email asking me to style a few of my favorites, they could probably hear my scream from their New York office.
I also got an email a couple weeks ago from a stylish reader named Megan asking me to round up all of my Ralph Lauren essentials as she’s loved the pieces she’s ordered after seeing them on my blog over the years. So in addition to sharing this outfit featuring a few current favorites, I’m also going to list out a more comprehensive RL shopping list for those of you looking to invest in preppy classics for your closet. Let’s just say my own shopping cart just quadrupled. Shall we?
My absolute must-haves from Ralph Lauren:
- The white polo shirt. Wear it on its own with jeans or a tennis skirt or layer it under a sweater with the collar showing. It doesn’t get more classic than this.
- The knit oxford shirt. The fabric of a polo shirt meets the silhouette of an oxford shirt. I own it in blue, white, blue and white stripes, and pink and wear one at least once a week.
- The cashmere cable knit sweater. A classic for men, women, and children. I have it in ivory, tan, and two shades of pink (you can see my sizing hack here) and routinely borrow Will’s in gray and navy (seen here around my shoulders).
- The flag sweater. An easy outfit for Memorial Day and/or Fourth of July with white jeans or denim shorts.
- A tan leather belt. I’ve loved this look since I worked in the Ralph Lauren store on Nantucket at age sixteen. Whether you go with an oversized style like I’m wearing here or an esquestrian-inspired version like this one, you’ll be surprised how easily it ties together a simple outfit.
- The fit-and-flare shirtdress. I own an older version of this style but I also love the longer length of this.
- Jodhpurs and leather skinny pants. No one nails equestrian chic like Ralph Lauren and these new-ish additions to my closet are proof. Pair the navy jodhpurs with a knit oxford shirt (like I did on our honeymoon here) and the leather pants with a neutral cable knit cashmere (as seen here). Megan asked if the pants would work on her as she’s 5’3″ and I’m happy to report I didn’t have either pair hemmed and I’m 5’1″, so they’re great full-length options for petites but would be just as cute as a slightly cropped look if you’re on the taller side.
- The baseball cap. I personally love the look of a girl in a baseball cap and I keep one in my car to throw on for running errands. I can’t tell you how many times it’s come in handy for a little extra sun protection or to rescue my blowout in the event of unexpected rain. 😉
What’s on my Ralph Lauren wishlist:
- The knit oxford shirtdress. I already live in the shirt version, so I imagine I’d get similar wear out of the dress style during the summer months and layered under a blazer come fall.
- The herringbone blazer. So cute and classic with jeans and riding boots.
- The Lennox bag. A simple and chic crossbody in the perfect camel color.
- The fleece sweatshirt. I mean, I would live in this. Throw on with white jeans for a trip to Juice Bar or over yoga pants to head to the gym the next day.
- This button-back top. Super crisp in the front, a little playful in the back. A must for keeping it classic in meetings and on girls’ night.
- The silk georgette blouse. The kind of top I need to have dry cleaned once a week because I can’t do date night without it.
- Suede skinny pants. A splurge for sure, but after living in my leather pair all fall and winter, I’m thinking these are a must for later in the year. Or maybe another leather pair in navy this time? So good.
- This star-print one-piece. Have you ever seen a more perfect pick for summer on Nantucket? Need, like, now.
Shop the post:
*This post is sponsored by Polo Ralph Lauren. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Design Darling!