Happy Friday! Will and I are off to Palm Beach for the weekend and I’m beyond excited for some fun in the sun after more snow in CT this week. Thank you all for your recommendations on this post! I made a bunch of reservations and I can’t wait to try out some of your favorite spots. I hope you all have a great one!
1. How did your fabulous mom decide what to wear to your wedding? I am a similar age to your mom (she is actually a tad younger!) and love your blog/Instagram!
She fell in love with a dress on the Carolina Herrera website and we tracked it down at their store in New York! It was initially a strapless design but we had a tailor use the extra fabric from the sash to make it more of an off-the-shoulder style. This has a super similar feel to my mom’s dress (more sizes here) but I did a little browsing and also love this, this, this, and this!
2. What are your go-to snack foods? Healthy or not!
Carrots and hummus, chips and guac, popcorn, raspberries, strawberries, and Talenti sea salt caramel gelato. 🙂
3. What’s one hobby you’d like to develop?
I really need to finish my current needlepoint project! I’m hoping to pick up a new canvas to work on this weekend in Palm Beach. I go through fits and starts where I want to work on it for hours at a time and then not at all… It really depends what part of the canvas I’m on and whether there’s enough detail to keep me interested haha.
4. Would love to see a round-up of cute one-piece swimsuits. I am headed to Florida in April and haven’t found anything I love!
Swimsuit shopping can be so tough! I just ordered this pink and red one-piece but it seems to be backordered for a while. I love this backless gingham number, this chic bow suit, these classic stripes, and this navy ric-rac style, and you can’t beat the price of this ruffled suit! If you’re willing to splurge, this brand makes my favorite swimsuits of all-time — I have this one in navy (photos here) but I love this new style as well!
5. Can you share a few of your go-to restaurants in NYC?
Yes! I’m seriously overdue for an update to this list. A few of my go-tos are Palma (#1 always and forever), Freemans, Grand Banks / Pilot, La Pecora Bianca, Mermaid Inn, Pizza Beach, Rosemary’s, and Tacombi. Would love to hear some of yours in the comments!
6. What are your go-to basic style pieces? Can pertain to both fashion and interiors.
My go-to basics in my closet are year-round pieces like these cable-knit cashmere sweaters, knit oxford shirts, and skinny jeans in dark blue and white. I don’t really have basics when it comes to decorating but I guess I gravitate toward solid furniture and upholstery in classic colors and textures that I know I won’t have to replace very often!
7. Do you have a exfoliating mask or treatment that works for your skin type? I remember you saying you have dry/sensitive skin and mine is terrible this time of year. I already have a moisturizer I like but I need something to get the dead skin OFF!
This is hands down my favorite exfoliating cleanser and is great for everyday use because it’s gentle and doesn’t dry out my skin. When I need something a little stronger, I like this two-minute mask or this pricey but magical “instant facial.”
8. What’s your favorite candle?
I know it’s #basic but I live for the smell of Diptyque Baies. I also love Jo Malone Orange Blossom which is my mom’s go-to. I just did a candle-making workshop with my girlfriends on our trip to Charleston and fell in love with Candlefish’s No. 27 and No. 80 scents!
9. What are some of your upcoming house projects? I was obsessed with your home office post!
Thanks! I’m 99% finished with our downstairs powder room (my mom and I hung this peel and stick wallpaper!) and then I’m shifting my attention to our master bedroom, which needs a new rug and hampers but is in overall decent shape. Hoping to share both of them sometime this spring! In the mean time you can browse all my past decorating projects here!
10. Do you have any favorite quotes?
“A ship at harbor is safe, but that’s not what ships are for.” —John A. Shedd
“Do one thing every day that scares you.” —Eleanor Roosevelt
“Stay close to anything that makes you glad you are alive.” ―Hafiz
The best is yet to come.
And basically anything in this Steve Jobs commencement address that still makes me cry every time I watch it. 🙂