I had to stop and think about what’s really new since my last life lately update… Your tips on dealing with migraines (Advil, magnesium!) have been serving me well thus far (fingers tightly crossed, I’m terrified to jinx it) and it makes me happy to think someone else might find a helpful tidbit or two reading your comments! I often hesitate to share more personal ramblings for fear of coming across as negative or unappreciative of all I have, but it’s also really cool to see that so many of you can relate to the “real” things as well as the pretty stuff I typically share day-to-day. In any event, here’s a little bit of life life lately…
- Visits with Grandy. It’s been a true blessing to have Grandy so close to us as I can drop in most afternoons for a visit. Without getting into details, it’s been incredibly hard to see someone so strong feel so unlike herself. Grandy is my last living grandparent at 94 and I don’t know what to say besides it’s just really hard for all of us to imagine our lives without her. The silver lining of this time is that we’ve had so many family members able to come see her now that she’s in Connecticut. I’m trying to soak up all our time with her, show her what I’m needlepointing (this canvas, still), and take plenty of pictures of her with Teddy and Peter, but I’d love to know if there’s anything you wish you could have asked your grandparents while they were still with you as this time with her is so precious.
- Teddy’s first week of school. Rounding out my recent emotional rollercoaster was Teddy’s first week of school, which went pretty well all things considered. Drop-offs have been a little rocky (for both of us, tbh) but he’s so excited when I go to pick him up, answers “yes” or “si” to all my questions about whether he had fun and made friends, and looks happy in all the pictures his teachers have shared, so I think it’s going pretty well. But it still pulls at my heartstrings to see this piece-of-my-heart-outside-my-body carrying this backpack-roughly-the-size-of-his-body walking into a totally new environment. I’m sure it will get easier over the course of the school year… and then it will be time to repeat the first day (week? month?) jitters again next fall and every fall after that. 😝
- Peter is teething. Like crazy. He wants his fists in his mouth at all times and it hurts my heart to see him in discomfort. Teddy loved this teething toy but Peter can’t quite hold it in place on his own yet. I’ve been trying to get him interested in a cold washcloth, but anything else that’s worked well for your little ones?
- What’s on your fall bucket list? We’re approaching what’s probably my second favorite season in New England (summer loyal forever and ever) and I want to make the most of it!
- I’m getting close to photographing a few more “finished” spaces in our home. Stay tuned for Will’s home office, my parents’ loft space, and my parents’ bathroom in the next month or so! I’ve previously shared our kitchen, our mudroom/laundry room, our living room, our powder room, the nursery, Teddy’s new room, our hall bathroom, our backyard, and all the before and afters from our first 18 months here.
- Teddy and I are on a major waffle kick. I found these frozen protein waffles at Whole Foods and now his first word every morning is “waffle!” We eat them with peanut butter and it’s a 10/10 way to start the day.
- I’m 99.9% sure I broke the pinkie finger on my left hand. And it’s definitely the finger I would want to break if I had to break one, but it turns out I still have to use it quite a bit? Like typing and breastfeeding and clipping babies into carseats. Let me also mention that I broke it in the stupidest way possible, which was going to fetch Teddy grapes from the fridge and having Will’s enormously heavy smoothie container somehow leap out of the fridge and land on top of my hand mid-air? It’s just one of those weeks…
- Which brings me to: what’s bringing you joy this week? Let’s end on a positive note. I think we’re overdue for another Feel Good Friday on my Instagram stories, so I’m going to try to make that happen this week. Until then, I’d love to hear one thing that’s putting a smile on your face lately if you care to share!